Most domestic students receive financial aid from a variety of sources, which may include federal, state, private and institutional funds.

Unlike loans, grants and scholarships are considered "gift aid," that is, financial aid that does not have to be repaid. Grants and scholarships may come from the federal government, CalArts, the state of California or private organizations. Each grant or scholarship has different eligibility criteria. Please visit the other pages in this section for detailed information. International Students should consult with the Office of International Affairs and Global Engagement adviser, and visit the International Student Financial Aid section for further information.