CalArts prevents sex-based discrimination and sexual harassment through a holistic approach that emphasizes training and support.
References here invoking Title IX refer to the civil rights law that bans sex-based discrimination — including sexual harassment — in schools that receive federal support.
References here invoking CA Sexual Harassment, refer to California Senate Bill 493 that bans sex-based discrimination-- including sexual harassment--in schools that receive state support. Among the steps that CalArts undertakes:
- Training for all new and returning students on consent, healthy relationships and bystander intervention
- Specific programming designed for residence halls
- Training for all administrators, faculty members and staff members
- Tailored training for staff members involved in facilitating grievance processes under Title IX and institutional policies
- Supportive measures to ensure student safety and security, no matter whether a formal investigation is under way
Detailed materials on this website are designed to educate, raise awareness and encourage the CalArts community to use the resources available through the Institute.