(Graduate and Professional Level students Only)
Graduate students are eligible to apply for the Graduate PLUS Loan to assist with their educational needs. Eligibility for this loan will be based on a credit check performed by the Department of Education upon receipt of the Graduate PLUS Loan application.
To meet the federally defined credit worthiness requirements, an applicant cannot be 90 days or more delinquent on the repayment of any debt, the subject of a default determination, bankruptcy discharge, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment or write off of a Title IV debt during the last five years.
If a student receives a denied credit decision on their PLUS Loan application, there are a few of options. Borrowers can add a credit-worthy endorser or appeal the credit decision. For more details on options and steps, please see this link.
To apply for the Graduate PLUS Loan, please follow the following steps:
- Visit https://studentaid.gov/plus-app/. The application opens on/after April 1st for each upcoming academic year. Students must use their own FSA ID to log in to the loan application.
- Graduate borrowers must complete a PLUS Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN). Complete this step online at studentaid.gov/mpn.
- Graduate Plus Loans borrowers are also required to complete Graduate Plus Entrance Counseling found at studentaid.gov/entrance-counseling (select Log in to Start in the "I am a Graduate or Professional Student" section). All loans must be processed and disbursed prior to the end of each academic semester.
If you receive a denied credit decision, you have a couple of options. You may choose to add a credit-worthy endorser or appeal the credit decision. For more information on these options and steps please see this link.
- To add an endorser follow these steps:
- Find a credit worthy endorser and supply them with the loan reference number
- The endorser must request an FSA ID with the Department of Education. They will then use that FSA ID to sign into www.StudentLoans.gov.
- Have the endorser complete an endorser addendum
- Complete a new MPN including your endorser
- Appeal your credit decision with the Department Of Education.
- Applicants who have adverse credit decisions and are subsequently approved through the process of appeals or receive approved endorsed Plus Loans decisions are now required to complete Plus Counseling which will need to be completed prior to loan origination and disbursement. To complete Plus Counseling please log into www.studentloans.gov and select the ‘Complete Plus Counseling’ option on the left hand side of the screen. Please note this counseling must be completed in one sitting as there is no ‘save progress’ function. For questions about whether you need to complete this counseling or not please contact the Student Loan Support Center at 800-557-7394.
Once the Financial Aid Office receives the application from the Department of Education, we will update the financial aid award to reflect the approved/requested Graduate PLUS Loan amount.
In the event that an endorser (co-signer) is required for loan approval, you will be required to complete mandatory PLUS Loan Credit Counseling.
*Important Note for all PLUS Loan Borrowers- There is a question on the PLUS Loan application that asks whether you wish to defer loan payments while you/your student is enrolled in school. If you wish to defer loan payments, you MUST answer this question accordingly.
Annual Loan Amount
When completing the loan application, the parent will have the option to either:
- "specify a loan amount" OR
- "borrow the maximum Direct PLUS Loan amount for which I am eligible, as determined by the school"
If the student selects to borrow the maximum, please be advised the Office of Financial Aid will process the loan for to meet the total cost of attendance, this amount can be above and beyond the charges directly owed to the school, based on the student’s eligibility. If an adjustment to the amount is needed for any reason, the borrower may contact the Office of Financial Aid to request a change to the amount.
2022-2023 Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan Interest Rate
The 2022-23 interest rate for Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loans Loans disbursed between July 1, 2022, and June 30, 2023, is 7.54 percent fixed.
All Direct Plus Loans are subject federal origination fee which is subtracted from the loan at the time of disbursement. The origination fee for Federal Plus Loans from July 1, 2022 till June 30, 2023 is: 4.228%.