CalArts is approved for the training of veterans and eligible persons under Title 38, US Code. Counseling for veterans is available in the Office of the Registrar. Arrangements should be made during the summer to file transfer forms and to initiate claims for the fall semester.

How to Get Started - VA Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

What is the first step?

Check with the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).  If you are eligible, you should create a VA E-Benefits account.  Once created, call the VA to request your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) and the VA will issue (via mail) an eligibility letter that outlines what benefits you are eligible for.

How do I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs for information?

By calling 888.442.4551 or visiting Veterans Affairs/G.I. Bill™

How do I apply for VA Benefits?

By using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) at

I received my VA eligibility letter, now what?

Submit a copies of the COE, your DD214, and if you are changing the school to which your benefits are being paid, submit a copy of the VA’s Change of Program Form (link: VBA-22-1995) that you submitted to the VA, to our Certifying Official at Once you have registered for classes, immediately let your Certifying Official know so your classes can be certified.

How long does it take to receive VA benefits?

First-time recipients should receive their benefits in approximately six to eight weeks. Continuing students should receive their benefits in approximately three to four weeks. If your program qualifies, BHA should start at the end of the first month of attending certified classes and the book/supply stipend should arrive with each semester/term, often with first BHA of the same semester/term.

Who do I contact if I have questions regarding my eligibility or remaining benefits?

Please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 888.442.4551 or visit their site at Veterans Affairs/G.I.Bill™.

How do I order my JST (Joint Services Transcript)?

Please visit the ACE (American Council on Education) website ACE Military and Veteran Students to order your JST. ACE will guide you directly to the ordering website for your military branch.

VA Change of Program/Place Form VBA-22-199

Contact information:

Erin Michelle Collins
Registrar/VA Certifying Official 
Phone: 661-253-7894


VA Yellow Ribbon Program at CalArts

California Institute of the Arts is a proud participant in the Post 9/11 GI Bill™ Yellow Ribbon Program. The Yellow Ribbon Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans’ Educational Assistance Act of 2008. To obtain general information and eligibility requirements for the Yellow Ribbon Program, visit the Veterans Administration website at

CalArts Yellow Ribbon Policy

During the 2018-2019 school year CalArts has pledged to contribute a maximum of $9000 in scholarship/grant funds for tuition and fees to students each year who qualify for the benefit.  The CalArts contribution is first met by institute scholarship/grant funds from your program.  If scholarship or grant funds do not meet the $9000 maximum, the institute will make up the difference in matching grant funds.  This amount is then matched by the Veterans Administration.

How to Apply

  • Apply for Financial Aid at CalArts
    Students who qualify for the Yellow Ribbon Program must apply for financial aid with the
    CalArts Office of Financial Aid each year of attendance at

  • Submit Letter of Eligibility
    If approved by the VA for the Yellow Ribbon Program, the student will receive a Letter of Eligibility mailed directly from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The student must submit this document to the VA Certifying Official at CalArts (located in the Office of the Registrar) immediately upon receipt. Students who submit Letters of Eligibility after registration will not qualify for Yellow Ribbon benefits until the following semester. 

Please note that participation in the Post 9/11 GI Bill™ Yellow Ribbon Program is subject to annual approval by CalArts administration.