Director of Creative Services
Position Category: Non-Academic
Position Title: Director of Creative Services
Reports To: Vice President/Chief Communications Officer
Time: Full Time
Term of Employment:
Information & Responsibilities
Reporting to the Vice President/Chief Communications Officer, the Director of Creative Services is responsible for the overall branding, art direction, design and production of all print and digital publications and materials created through the CalArts Office of Communications. This position manages a team of graphic designers and will work with other Communications staff members to achieve the Institute’s strategic goals while creating a cohesive and compelling visual story for our various audiences.
RESPONSIBILITIES include but are not limited to:
- Supervise all aspects of branding efforts for CalArts to create and maintain a consistent and compelling visual story for internal and external audiences.
- Art direct design and supervise production of all print and digital publications and materials that come through the Communications Office including magazines, brochures, posters, programs, invitations, merchandise, certificates, bulletins and other printed publications in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensure consistency in all materials and oversee quality control within the Creative Services team.
- Art direct photo shoots by Institute photographers.
- Manage design office schedule and maintains institutional priorities.
- Supervise a graphic designer, web designer and work-study student in the design area.
- Keep abreast of new design styles and trends, incorporating those as needed.
- Conduct press checks and supervises all aspects of the print and production process.
- Direct and evaluate the work of related staff and freelancers.
- Proven experience in successfully leading a team.
- Recognized excellence in magazine and book design.
- Superior design skills and knowledge of production for a wide variety of printed and digital publications, including development communications.
- Demonstrated aesthetic sense appropriate to CalArts.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Willingness to learn new skills and technologies.
- Ability to work independently and set priorities that advance CalArts’ mission and vision.
- Ability to work cooperatively with other individuals and departments to achieve Institutional goals.
- Flexibility and self-motivation.
- BFA or MFA in graphic design strongly preferred.
- Minimum of five years of progressively responsible design, art direction and branding experience, preferably in an art or higher education environment.
- Demonstrated knowledge of marketing and branding, both in print and online.
- Fluency in current print-production technology.
- Interest in and knowledge of contemporary art and design.
How to Apply
This position is available immediately. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to Denise Nelson (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please indicate in the subject line: Director of Creative Services in order to be considered.
Equity & Diversity
CalArts is proud of its diverse student body and deeply committed to supporting the cultural and artistic aspirations of all its students. A commitment to increasing opportunities for low-income students and currently disenfranchised groups is necessary, as is the desire to work to support institutional goals of equity and diversity in an ongoing way. CalArts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). In our efforts to reach a diverse application pool, please follow the link to fill out an optional survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Eq_Div
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the
United States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees in all areas of visual and performing arts.