Information & Responsibilities
Information & Responsibilities
The mission of CalArts’ Campus Safety is to provide a security presence dedicated to providing
a safe and secure campus environment for faculty, staff, and students. Campus Security Officers
(“CSOs”) are responsible for investigating unlawful, suspicious activity, identifying potential
problems regarding the welfare, safety and security of faculty, staff and students. CSOs will also
maintain campus safety by enforcing policies and regulations and by communicating information
and responding to inquiries. Works under the supervision of the Shift Leader and Director,
Essential Job Functions
• Provide safety and security related services to the college community.
• Patrol the campus via security vehicles and/or by foot checking for fire, general safety,
locking and unlocking doors as required.
• Respond to requests for assistance, emergency calls, and alarms.
• Render emergency first aid and CPR, call paramedics, respond to and investigate reports of
• Investigate various kinds of incidents and prepare detailed written reports
• Confront and interview suspicious subjects and make arrests when required.
• Issue traffic and parking citations.
• File all necessary reports and paperwork as required.
• May be called upon to work overtime with/without notice to address emergency situations.
• Other duties as assigned.
- Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to spend extended periods of time walking and the ability to walk/stand.
- Full range of motion with both hands and arms.
- Ability to climb 4-5 flights of stairs without stopping.
- Ability to handle emergency calls for service in a professional manner and maintain
composure during stressful situations.
- Possess basic computer skills.
- Ability to compose and comprehend written reports.
- Available to work a flexible work schedule to include day, night, weekend and holiday shifts.
- Valid California Guard Card, First Aid/CPR & Defibrillator certification.
- Valid California Driver License. Employment subject to meeting the standards of CalArts'
- Upon offer of employment, must successfully pass a background check and a physical exam
(including hearing, vision and stress test)
- Capable of performing essential functions of the job with or without accommodations.
Work Environment/Physical Conditions
- CSOs constantly: walk sit, talk, hear, drive and have exposure to physical hazards.
- Occasionally are exposed to extreme cold, heat, temperature changes and noise.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum two (2) years law enforcement/security experience preferred.
How to Apply
This position is available immediately. If you are interested, please follow this link to apply.
Campus Safety Officer (CSO) Part-Time ID:97603
Equity & Diversity
California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) seeks to employ faculty who can engage our diverse communities of learners at the highest levels of artistic endeavor and critical thinking. Across the range of practitioners from artists to scholars and librarians, we welcome candidates who possess a demonstrated worldview and cultural competency to support teaching and mentoring undergraduate and graduate students of varied backgrounds, capabilities, perspectives, social identities and gender expressions. CalArts is an equal opportunity employer.
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees in all areas of visual and performing arts.