Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity
Position Category: Academic
Position Title: Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity
School/Department: Provost Office
Reports To: Provost
Time: Full Time
Term of Employment: continuing 12 month position
Position Starts: 01/01/2015
Information & Responsibilities
Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity (full-time, 12-month position)
CALIFORNIA INSTITUTE OF THE ARTS seeks to appoint an Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity to work closely with the Provost’s and President’s Offices to increase awareness of diversity as a critical component of the educational and artistic life of CalArts. S/he will play a leadership role in developing pathways for foregrounding diversity as a part of the strategic advancement of the Institute and helping to create an inclusive, supportive and empowering environment for a diverse student body, faculty and staff.
The Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity will understand diversity broadly and inclusively, recognizing racial and ethnic diversity, gender identification and sexual orientation, cultural and class difference nationally and internationally as well as the full scope of protected categories under Title VII. S/he will play a leadership role in providing consistent attention to matters of equity and diversity in policy and programs at the institutional, school and community level (including serving in an advisory position to the Provost and President). The Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity will work with the Deans and Faculty to develop initiatives to integrate diversity into curriculum content and methodology within and across the Schools. In close collaboration with the Schools, Councils and the Institute Committee on Equity and Diversity, the Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity will be responsible for providing platforms and programming that allow for diverse voices and concerns to be heard and recommendations to be acted upon, to help to equip students to live and act effectively in a complex and diverse world and to support the development and retention of a diverse faculty and staff. S/he will be instrumental in formulating and implementing policies to affirm CalArts’s commitment to an equitable and creative learning environment, and ensuring compliance with accreditation standards, and state and federal regulations (including Title IX).
The Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity reports to the Provost and attends Deans Council and Academic Council as part of Provost Office staff. S/he will have a demonstrated record of commitment and accomplishment in furthering campus and community dialogue around issues of diversity, equity and inclusion and in developing innovative curricular and co-curricular initiatives. S/he will have experience in implementing state and federal regulations and will serve as one of the Institute’s Title IX investigators. S/he will also have teaching experience and professional accomplishment relevant to some aspect of the rich and deep curriculum in the arts and critical studies at CalArts. CalArts is committed to ongoing training and professional development for the Associate Provost in order to ensure the currency of our policies and practices.
The Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity will:
- Work with the Provost to provide counsel to all faculty, staff and constituents (including Dean’s Council, Academic Council, Student Council and the Institute Committee on Equity and Diversity) on the development of policies and procedures responsive to issues of diversity;
- Facilitate ongoing dialogue and workshops for students, faculty and staff on diversity topics, including formulating programming for new student and faculty orientations;
- Consult with deans, program directors and search committees to implement more effective ways to develop diverse application pools, including overseeing evaluating and updating the faculty diversity hiring policy, developing and recommending recruitment strategies, and assisting with special recruitment efforts directed toward racial and ethnic minorities, women and other underrepresented groups, as well as developing focused faculty and staff retention initiatives through mentorship, career development, etc.;
- Work with Dean of Student Affairs to help facilitate activities of student special interest groups focused on areas of diversity;
- Work with Student Affairs and Office of International Students and Programs to further the internationalization of CalArts through study, travel and work abroad opportunities, faculty exchanges, etc.
- Represent the Provost Office and help to facilitate work of Institute Committee on Equity and Diversity;
- Be available to consult with individual students, faculty and staff on living, learning and working productively in a diverse community;
- Work with the Provost Office, Student Affairs and Schools to help mediate and resolve problems or conflicts arising among students, faculty and staff regarding equity and diversity and initiate community-wide educational actions and discussions in support of conflict resolution;
- Take a leadership role in coordinating Human Resources, Student Affairs and the Provost Office to develop transparent and accessible systems for reporting any incidents of discrimination, including coordinating sensitivity training and diversity awareness initiatives campus-wide;
- Work with the Provost to initiate institute-wide initiatives in supporting of diversifying curriculum content and methodologies;
- Serve as part of Title IX investigation team;
- Teach 1 course per year in applicable school or program.
- Demonstrated interest in the arts
Qualifications to be considered include:
MA, MFA, or Ph.D in relevant field
Knowledge of contemporary discourses, issues, research and best practices for equity and diversity
Experience in assuring compliance with accreditation standards and federal and state policies regarding diversity
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are invited to send the following materials to the Office of the Provost. The position will remain open until filled.
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
Names and contact information for three references
Associate Provost for Equity and Diversity Search Committee
Office of the Provost
California Institute of the Arts
24700 McBean Parkway
Valencia, CA 91355
Materials can also be sent electronically to Diane Hunt, Search Coordinator, email@example.com.
Equity & Diversity
CalArts is proud of its diverse student body and deeply committed to
supporting the cultural and artistic aspirations of all its students. A
commitment to increasing opportunities for low-income students and
currently disenfranchised groups is necessary, as is the desire to work
to support institutional goals of equity and diversity in an ongoing
way. CalArts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). In our efforts to reach a diverse application pool, please follow the link to fill out an optional survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Eq_Div
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees in all areas of visual and performing arts.