The portfolio submission should reflect your primary areas of interest and artistic strengths. Examples include: instrumental performance, vocal performance, jazz, composition and experimental sound practices, music technology, world music performance, performer-composer integration, musical arts/experimental pop, cross-disciplinary approaches, and other combinations of disciplines involving music.
You must submit a digital portfolio containing at least 3-5 works submitted via SlideRoom. Materials to upload may include: recordings, videos, appropriate media documents, scores, writings, and any related materials that further illuminate your work. You may also link to media from YouTube, Vimeo and SoundCloud.
The faculty are especially interested in reviewing work that emphasizes:
- Applicants own original compositions documented through scores or other appropriate media.
- Performances demonstrating strong technical skills in extant musical literature and any, if appropriate, any original work including improvisation.
- Innovative performance practices.
- Skills with music technologies including novel and innovative uses.
- Interdisciplinary work.
- Artwork beyond music that broadly informs your larger musical practice.
The portfolio can duplicate the audition, and the audition is a chance for us to get to know you in person and answer any questions. There are no specific repertoire requirements for the audition, however we would prefer to see what you consider your strengths.
You must include a detailed Artist Statement that outlines your goals as a music artist, your background in studying music, particular interests in studying music at CalArts, and potential areas of Specialization. In your Artist Statement, be sure to also include the following:
- Describe briefly your main interests in music right now.
- Describe other musical interests you are involved in.
- Describe the materials you will submit in your digital portfolio and how they demonstrate your musical interests.
- Describe what you would like to learn at CalArts.
- List any Specializations among our offerings that you are particularly interested in, including any combinations of Specializations that you might like to create for yourself while at CalArts.