There is not a minimum or maximum word count requirement, but it is recommended that your statement be between 500 and 1,000 words. An artist statement is very important in the admissions process and should answer the following three questions:
- What are your artistic interests/goals?
- What issues and concerns inform your art-making practice?
- Why are you applying to your program at CalArts?
BFA students are strongly encouraged to submit a video introduction. We would very much like to meet you. Since this would be impossible in practical terms, we ask that you send a brief video introducing yourself.
- Duration: minimum of 30 seconds, maximum of 90 seconds.
- Speak directly to the camera.
- No edits.
- No special effects or on-screen overlays.
- File should be uploaded or linked directly in your portfolio.
- Does not require professional-level equipment; cellphone camera or consumer cameras are okay.