Information & Responsibilities
The mission of CalArts’ Campus Safety is to provide a security presence dedicated to providing a safe and secure campus environment for faculty, staff, and students. Campus Security Officers (“CSOs”) are responsible for investigating unlawful, suspicious activity, identifying potential problems regarding the welfare, safety and security of faculty, staff and students. CSOs will also maintain campus safety by enforcing policies and regulations and by communicating information and responding to inquiries.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Provide safety and security related services to the college community.
• Patrol the campus via security vehicles and/or by foot checking for fire, general safety, locking and unlocking doors as required.
• Respond to requests for assistance, emergency calls, and alarms.
• Render emergency first aid and CPR, call paramedics, respond to and investigate reports of unlawful activity.
• Confront and interview suspicious subjects and make arrests when required.
• Issue traffic and parking citations.
• File all necessary reports and paperwork as required.
• May be called upon to work overtime with/without notice to address emergency situations.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Ability to spend extended periods of time walking and be able to walk/stand.
• Full range of motion with both hands and arms.
• Ability to climb 4-5 flights of stairs without stopping.
• Ability to handle emergency calls for service in a professional manner and maintain composure during stressful situations.
• Possess basic computer skills.
• Ability to compose and comprehend written reports.
• Available to work a flexible work schedule to include day, night, weekend and holiday shifts.
• Valid California Guard Card, Mace & Pepper Spray certification, and valid First Aid/CPR & Defibrillator certification.
• Valid California driver’s license. Employment subject to meeting the standards of CalArts' insurance carrier.
• Physical exam (including hearing, vision and stress test)
• Capable of performing essential functions of the job with or without accommodations.
• Successfully pass background check.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Minimum two (2) years law enforcement/security experience preferred.
How to Apply
Position is available immediately. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line: Campus Safety Officer – Part Time in order to be considered.
Equity & Diversity
CalArts is proud of its diverse student body and deeply committed to supporting the cultural and artistic aspirations of all its students. A
commitment to increasing opportunities for low-income students and currently disenfranchised groups is necessary, as is the desire to work
to support institutional goals of equity and diversity in an ongoing way. CalArts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). In our efforts to reach a diverse application pool, please follow the link to fill out an optional survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Eq_Div
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts
through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and
Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the
complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a
distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor
and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure
necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and
opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United
States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees
in all areas of visual and performing arts.