New Student Orientation

2018 New Student Orientation Schedule

All new students are invited to participate in orientation activities beginning on Sunday, Sept. 2 (complete with a family and parents orientation on Sunday afternoon). There will be informational and educational sessions and activities designed specifically for all new undergraduate and graduate CalArts students throughout the week which will aid in your transition to our community.

View the 2018 New Student Orientation Schedule for the vast array of programs provided.

Print/View 2018 Schedule (PDF)

CalArts Orientation 2018 has gone mobile!

We're excited to announce we have a brand new mobile guide for you to use through the Guidebook app. Download the guide app to your phone to access the most up-to-date information about our event, including schedules, maps and more.

Download App

Academic Advising

Academic advising is an important part of your CalArts education. Developing a relationship with an academic advisor is a critical component to your success as a student. Your advisor will help you understand your academic requirements, help you create an academic plan, and help you set educational and personal goals. To schedule your advising appointment, please contact the Institute Academic Advisor, Brian Gershey, at

Housing Information

If you will be living on-campus during the 2018-2019 academic year:

  • Look for a separate mailing form from Housing for more details about living on campus
  • Each student residing on-campus has a specific room check-in appointment time

There is a schedule of events and meeting times specifically for on-campus residents. Please note: all incoming students (BFA and MFA) will be eligible to move into their on-campus residence on Sunday, September 2nd. Please refer to your mailing from Housing for your designated move-in time.

If you plan to live off campus:

You will need to allow plenty of time to search for an apartment or house. Visit the Off-Campus Housing page in order to:

  • Post a roommate search
  • Browse the listed housing posts
  • Follow links to additional housing resources
  • Browse a list of local hotels

How To Get To CalArts

Driving From Hollywood, Downtown Los Angeles or the Burbank Airport: Drive north on Interstate 5; exit at McBean Parkway;turn right (east) on McBean; our driveway is the next right.

Driving From Santa Monica, Beverly Hills or LAX: Drive north on Interstate 405 (the San Diego Freeway) until it becomes Interstate 5 northbound;exit at McBean Parkway;turn right (east) on McBean; our driveway is the next right.

Driving From Northern California: take Interstate 5 south to Valencia;exit at McBean Parkway; turn left (east) on McBean; cross the freeway overpass; our driveway is the first right after crossing the overpass.

Parking on campus is free. Students who plan on driving to campus for classes must register your vehicle at the Facilities Office Monday - Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. Students who will be living on-campus and need to be picked up from either the Burbank Airport or the Van Nuys Flyaway (a bus that travels from LAX to Van Nuys) should call the Housing Office at 661-253-7897 to make arrangements in advance. All other students will need to use a shuttle, taxi, or rental car.

For transportation reservations, call or visit the following companies on-line:

  • Super Shuttle: 800-258-3826
  • Prime Time Shuttle: 800-733-8267
  • Van Nuys Flyway: 866-435-9529
  • Shuttle 2 LAX

For information on navigating through the LA Area, the Thomas Guide is a great resource. It is available for purchase by calling 800-777-MAPS or via the Thomas Guide website.

Mailing Boxes and Luggage

We understand that you may need to mail things to yourself at CalArts. Please make sure that your items arrive after you are here on campus. There is no long term storage in the mailroom. Please make sure to use the mailbox number that has been assigned to you. You will learn your mailbox number once you complete the online registration process on the CalArts Academic Serivces website.

On-Campus Employment Information

If you are offered a position to work on-campus, you will need to present original documentation to the Office of Human Resources/Payroll that verifies you are authorized to work in the United States. A list of acceptable document(s) can be found on page five (5) of the Employee Eligibility Verification (I-9) form to help you determine what type of documentation to bring with you. The form may be found on the USCIS site or you may contact the Office of Human Resources/Payroll at (661)255-1050 ext. 2626. Please be sure to have these important document(s) in your possession when you arrive on campus. Failure to present these document(s) will delay your ability to begin you on-campus work assignment.

It is a federal requirement that all employees complete Section 1 (Employee Information and Verification) of this form at the time they are hired for employment. Again, you must present original identification document(s) on or before the first day of employment to Human Resources/Payroll Office. This office will review you document(s), make photocopies for their file and complete Section 2 (Employer Review and Verification) of the form. ORIGINAL DOCUMENT(S) ARE REQUIRED. PHOTOCOPIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

For Payroll Purposes Only

It is important to bring your original Social Security card with you to complete payroll enrollment information. Your original Social Security card is required to ensure year-end W-2 reportings are accurate and your earning are reported accurately for future eligibility to (and amounts paid under) Social Security's retirement, disability and survivors program. If you have lost, misplaced, or do not have access to your original Social Security card, you may request a replacement card before your first day of work by visiting a Social Security Administration Office. The closest Social Security Administration Office to CalArts is located at 23504 Lyons Ave., 3rd Floor, Suite 303, Santa Clarita, CA 91321. They are open Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm except on Federal holidays. You will be required to bring original documents that verify your identity in order to request a replacement card. For more information regarding documents, please visit the Social Security Administration website.

International Students must provide a proper passport, visa, and I-20 to the Human Resources/Payroll Office before engaging in on-campus employment. Those who do not have a Social Security number must apply for one when hired. Off-campus employment requires special work authorization and is restricted in the first year of study. Information on obtaining a Social Security number and/or work permit will be provided in the International Student Orientation. For more information, please contact International Student Affairs at