The Office of Human Resources is pleased to share that the Institute is continuing COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave until June 30, 2023. This is an important decision and benefit because the current California COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave is scheduled to end on Sept. 30, 2022, for California covered employees. The decision was made to support employees impacted by COVID so that they may focus on their well-being.
Please use this brief Q&A as a guide to understand eligibility and benefits.
What does the COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Leave cover and how much time am I eligible for?
The COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave provided by CalArts provides eligible employees up to 80 hours of COVID-19 related paid leave, with up to 40 of those hours for isolation and quarantine, receiving vaccines, and caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed. Additionally, when an employee, or family member, for whom the employee provides care, tests positive for COVID-19, eligible employees can receive up to an additional 40 hours.
Who is eligible for the COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave?
A full-time covered employee may take up to 40 hours of leave if the employee is unable to work or telework for any of the following reasons:
- Vaccine-related: The covered employee is attending a vaccine or booster appointment for themselves or a family member* or cannot work or telework because they have vaccine-related symptoms or are caring for a family member with vaccine-related symptoms. CalArts may limit an employee to 24 hours or 3 days of leave for each vaccination or booster appointment and any consequent side effects, unless a health care provider verifies that more recovery time is needed.
- Caring for yourself: The covered employee is subject to a quarantine or isolation period related to COVID-19 as defined by an order or guidance of the California Department of Public Health, the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or a local public health officer with jurisdiction over the workplace; has been advised by a healthcare provider to quarantine; or is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis.
- Caring for a family member*: The covered employee is caring for a family member who is subject to a COVID-19 quarantine or isolation period or has been advised by a healthcare provider to quarantine due to COVID-19, or is caring for a child whose school or place of care is closed or unavailable due to COVID-19 on the premises.
Is additional leave available?
A full-time covered employee may take up to an additional 40 hours of leave if the employee is unable to work or telework for either of the following reasons:
- The covered employee tests positive for COVID-19
- The covered employee is caring for a family member* who tested positive for COVID-19.
*A family member includes a child, parent, spouse, registered domestic partner, grandparent, grandchild, or sibling.
What are the benefits for part-time employees?
Part-Time covered employees: Part-time covered employees may take leave up to the amount of hours they work over two weeks, with half of those hours available only when they or a family member* test positive for COVID-19.
How do I submit a request COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave?
To submit your request for COVID-19 supplemental paid sick leave, please email email@example.com with the dates that you were out for COVID. An HR team member will contact you for additional details and documentation.
As a community, let’s continue to take care of each other. Our individual efforts will create a collective result of well-being for the community.
We encourage you to stay safe and be well.