This is a reminder that critical maintenance work taking place over Spring Break will significantly impact many campus facilities. We strongly encourage you to avoid coming to campus if possible from March 25 through April 1.
Campus will be closed to visitors and most in-person office hours and events are suspended. We encourage those who can work remotely to do so, and others to be patient and prepared for disruptions to hot water, heating and cooling systems, and power as our contractors make these critical improvements.
- Dates: Saturday, March 25 – Saturday, April 1
- Locations: Main Building and Residence Halls
- Impacts: No hot water, heating, or cooling between March 25 and April 1. There will be a power shutdown on March 28 from 6 to 11 am.
See below for details, including information for student residents.
During the week of Spring Break, March 25–April 1, CalArts' HVAC system contractor will conduct maintenance in the Main Building as part of our larger project to upgrade and modernize the controls and performance of our HVAC system throughout campus.
- There will be no hot water, heating, or air conditioning throughout the Main Building and Residence Halls.
- On Tuesday, March 28 power will be shut off from 6 to 11 am in the following areas: A-Block (all floors), B-Block (3rd Floor), C-Block (corridor lights), Health Office, and portions of the Library.
- Portable showers will be available for student residents who remain on campus over Spring Break.
- Toilets will not be affected and sinks will have cold water only.
- Fire sprinkler systems will not be affected.
- Steve’s Cafe, Tatum, the CalArts Store, and most offices will be closed (with staff working remotely when possible).
Thanks to the CalArts community for your patience and understanding as we work to update and improve our campus facilities. If you have questions or concerns, please contact Facilities Management at 661-255-1050 x2106.