Building Your Career Alumni Guest Series is Presented by the Patty Disney Center for Life and Work (PDCLW)
Want to know about upcoming PDCLW events and links to them? Subscribe to CalArts Career Corner!
October 29: Freelancing Series: Networking and Marketing Yourself in a Pandemic, Presented by PDCLW 6:00pm-7:30pm PDT
This pandemic has changed how we do business. Many of us were forced to learn some new skills which helped reveal just how essential we are. With everyone flooding the internet, it’s difficult to see how our portfolios will stand out. This workshop will go over clever marketing techniques, actionable strategic networking tactics and tips on how to turn your contacts into contracts.
Note: This session will be recorded for those that cannot attend.
November 4: Virtual Performance + Exhibition - Workshop, Presented by PDCLW 12:00pm PT
The Thurs.night team will teach you how to host a performance, reading, exhibition or other presentation of your work online through this one hour workshop. Learn best practices for presentation and the technical considerations for an awesome showcase. This workshop ties to helping prepare your materials for the Provost’s Office grant on online content due November 9th.
Led by alumnx Madeline Falcone (Music MFA 13) and Annais Linares (Music BFA 18)
November 5: Internship Program - Info Session, Presented by PDCLW 12:00pm-12:45pm PT
Do you have questions about how to earn academic credit with an internship? Join our session to learn more about it!
Led by Czarina Martinez, Assistant Director of the Patty Disney Center for Life and Work
November 6: Career Strategies for Students with Disabilities, Presented by PDCLW 12:00pm PT
Join Kristen Acosta, Care & Well Being Coordinator, as she shares information on knowing your rights, essential job functions to look out for, advocating for yourself over the course of your career, and requesting accommodations.
Led by Kristen Acosta, Care & Well Being Coordinator
November 11: Personal Budgeting with Amy Komen - Workshop, Presented by PDCLW 11:00am PT
Learn how to manage your expenses on any budget! Award-winning educator Amy Komen will lead you through exercises in personal budgeting and help you actually save money every month, no matter how little your income.
- October 26, 2020: Marketing and Promoting Yourself with Katrina Frye
- October 21, 2020: Follow Up Q&A - 10 Ways to Make Money During the Pandemic as a Freelancer, Presented by PDCLW
- October 20, 2020: Stoopid Buddies Stoodios - Employer Info Session, Presented by PDCLW
- October 14, 2020: Freelancing During a Pandemic: The Top 10 Ways for Freelancers to Earn Money During the Pandemic (Part 2) - Workshop Presented by PDCLW
- October 7, 2020: Career Workshop - How to Create a Professional Network from Scratch Presented by PDCLW
- October 5, 2020: Freelancing During a Pandemic: You are Essential (Part 1) - Workshop Presented by PDCLW
- October 2, 2020: Writing Your Best Resume and Cover Letter Presentation & Compass's Resume Builder Demonstration Presented by PDCLW
- September 17, 2020: How to Organize and Manage Your Finances as a Creative with Claire Van Holland
- August 20, 2020: Virtual Networking Strategies Presented by PDCLW
- July 15, 2020: Building Your Career: Barbara Halperin
- July 6, 2020: Building Your Career: Joy Gregory '99
- June 29, 2020: California AB5: Everything You Need to Know as a Creative with Sam Mazzeo and Olivia Phillips
- Workshop Recording
- June 24, 2020: Building Your Career: Rob Minkoff '83
- May 7, 2020: Managing Your Creative Practice During a Crisis with Eric Holter
- Workshop Recording
- February 12, 2020: Marketing and Branding for Artists with Katrina Frye
- July 31, 2019: Grant Writing Workshop with Cathy Akers '06
- January 24, 2019: Taxes for Artists with Emily Churchill
- July 18, 2018: Facebook and Instagram Skills for Artists with Kyle Henry '13
- June 26, 2018: Digital Marketing and Social Media as a Business Tool with B. Neimeth '16
- May 29, 2018: Budgeting for Artists with John Henningsen '15
- August 3, 2017: Copyright for Creative Professionals with Sarah Van Sciver '16
- June 15, 2017: Zen and the Art of Professional Relationships with Reynier Molenaar '00
- April 1, 2017: Pitching with Devorah Cutler-Rubenstein '75
- February 8, 2017: Alumni Entrepreneur Panel with David Braun '13, Harmony Jiroudek '05 & '07, Tina Tangalakis '00, and Leslie Scott '16
- January 28, 2017: Deducting Your Creative Career with Scott Rubenstein
- July 28, 2016: Resumes, Cover Letters, and Interviews with Rita Soultanian
- June 15, 2016: Grant Writing with Cathy Akers '06
- March 18, 2016: Fractured Atlas with Dianne Debicella