Fall 2014 Class Signup
Course Advising Day: September 5
As in the past, students are invited to one of two, three-hour sessions based on your last name for course advising and to obtain instructor permissions.
- A-K, 9:00 am – 12:00 noon
- L-Z, 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm
More detailed information about Course Advising Day can be viewed under "Reminders" section on the Institute's new student portal, the CalArts Hub »
Course Catalog and Class Signup
This year, CalArts has built a new Course Catalog along with a Student Information System that allows for online class signup. Beginning with the Fall 2014 semester, students can search for classes (sections), faculty, times and locations through the new Course Catalog, and then signup for the classes through the WebAdvisor counterpart, CalArts’ new student records interface. WebAdvisor will be your primary source for reviewing class history, and adding or dropping courses.
Browse Course Catalog » (find class sections, times, faculty)
Online Class Signup » (sign up online for classes at your appointed time on Aug. 5)
Class signup opens on August 5, with start times staggered throughout the day. All students will receive a signup time via email (so please check your email). Once your signup time begins, check the Fall 2014 class sections and then log into WebAdvisor to select the classes you want to add. [You can also search the schedule prior to your start time, though there may be changes between now and the time you add your classes.]
Keep in mind you may have had courses already added to your schedule at the request of your school, so be sure to check this before you get too far along in planning for the semester. There will also be a number of courses marked as “Permission of Instructor.” In order to sign up for these, you will first need to get approval from the faculty, which you can do at Course Advising Day (on Sept. 5).
Here are some resources to help you create your schedule for Fall:
- If you have trouble using or remembering your CalArts credentials (username or password) to log into the new system(s), contact CalArts IT at cait.calarts.edu.
- If you’re logged in, but are having trouble navigating the site, check out these step by step instructions.
- If you try adding a course, but are getting a restriction that you don’t think is correct, here is information about registration overrides.
If you’re not quite sure what classes you need to graduate, here are some links that will help:
- For information about your métier ("program") requirements, start by reviewing the year-by-year requirements in the catalog:
- For information about your Critical Studies requirements:
- To see a list of all the courses you’ve taken at CalArts, view an unofficial transcript in the "WebAdvisor" section of the Hub the Hub.
If you want to talk to someone about your schedule, or your plan to graduate, here’s who to know:
For questions about BFA Critical Studies or transfer credit, please contact:
- Mike Fitzgerald, Institute Academic Advisor
- Michael Bryant, Associate Dean, School of Critical Studies
For questions about métier requirements, please contact your mentor. If you don’t know who your mentor is, contact your school:
You can also contact the Registrar's Office directly for help with general questions, or if you need additional guidance on where to go for answers to more specific questions. We're here to help! You can reach the Registrar's Office by email at email@example.com, or by phone at 661-253-7842.
Please note that faculty mentors will be available to answer your questions during orientation week, and will also be on campus to answer questions in person at Course Advising Day.
Important Dates for Class Signup
- August 5 – Online class signup begins. Please check the Hub for the specific time you can begin to add classes to your schedule.
- September 5 – Course advising day. This is your opportunity to talk to faculty about their courses, and to request permission to sign up for sections designated as “Permission of Instructor”.
- September 8 – First day of class.
- September 26 – Last day to add or drop classes from your schedule. This can be done online through the Hub->WebAdvisor.
- November 14 – Last day to withdraw from a course (W grade reflected on transcript). This can be done online through the Hub, with the exception of students withdrawing from the institution. To withdraw from all classes, contact the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- December 12 – Last day of class.