In response to the COVID-19 Pandemic, we will not accept physical sketchbooks as a part of the application for Fall of 2023.
This year we require a filmed video page-through of your sketchbook. The requirements for the video of your sketchbook are:
- A filmed video page-through of your completed sketchbook, starting with the front cover and ending with the back cover.
- Should be well-lit and shot from above the sketchbook.
- Pause each page turn for a clear shot of each page.
- No more than ten minutes in length.
- Do not include any edits or overlays.
- Do not include an audio track, audio commentary, or music.
In the interest of the safety of the CalArts Community, we will not open or return physical sketchbooks that are mailed to us or dropped off at our offices.
There will be no exceptions to this rule.
Online Portfolio Submission
The online portfolio (artist statement, observational drawings, personal work, and the video introduction) should be uploaded in the application.
For your portfolio, please submit one image per slide. Do not combine multiple images into a PDF document. Do not share your personal website or a Google drive in place of a digital portfolio. Do not include captions on images. If appropriate, captions should be added to the designated captions section in the application.
The application accepts MP3's, documents, images and video. You will be scanning or photographing your drawings to submit them digitally, and filming your sketchbook.
Once your portfolio is uploaded, it can be viewed and rearranged until the final submission is made. No changes can be made following the final submission of your portfolio.
If you experience technical difficulties while uploading your portfolio, you may send an email to the Review Coordinator, Patrick Schmid, at email@example.com.