CalArts Tribute to Charlie Haden
Saturday, Oct. 17 at 7 pm
Wild Beast tribute concert honoring Charlie Haden, founder of CalArts’ Jazz Program, features a lineup of special guests and performers, including:
- Ruth Cameron Haden (host)
- Ernie Watts (Quartet West)
- Ralph Alessi, trumpet (Music BFA 87, Music MFA 90)
- Michael Cain, piano (Music MFA 90)
- Ravi Coltrane, sax (Music 90)
- Peter Epstein, sax (Music BFA 92)
- Petra Haden (Music 93)
- Tanya Haden (Film/Video BFA 98)
- Rachel Haden
- Willie Jones, III, drums (Music 93)
- Joe LaBarbera, drums (faculty 1994-present)
- Darek Oles, bass (Music BFA 91, faculty 1994 - present)
- David Roitstein, piano (faculty 1983 - present)
- Nedra Wheeler, bass (Music BFA 87, Music MFA 89)
Register on Eventbrite
What You Should Know
- Free concerts and free parking: The concerts and the parking are free, but we do encourage you to register with Eventbrite and to carpool if possible.
- Open lawn seating in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard: Bench-seating is limited and available on a first-come, first- served basis. We encourage you to bring your own lawn chairs and blankets.
- Picnics welcome: The lawn outside of The Wild Beast Music Pavilion is a perfect place for a picnic. Come an hour early and grab that prime spot on the lawn. Please leave the alcohol at home, however; open containers are not allowed on the CalArts campus.
- Family-friendly: The environment for and content of The Wild Beast Concert Series is safe and appropriate for family enjoyment.
- Dress warmly: Each concert lasts approximately 90 minutes and the evening air may get chilly.
The Wild Beast Music Pavilion and the S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard
California Institute of the Arts
24700 McBean Parkway
Valencia, CA 91355
This outdoor music series—free to the community—offers afternoon/evening concerts on the lawn, spotlighting several genres within The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts.
In May 2010, The Herb Alpert School of Music at CalArts officially dedicated its new indoor/outdoor music venue, The Wild Beast and The S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard. The pavilion opened with a festive evening under the stars that celebrated CalArts' 40th anniversary, and brought more than 500 people from across the Santa Clarita Valley together for dynamic performances by the CalArts World Percussion Ensemble and CalArts Latin Jazz Ensemble.
Building on the momentum created on that magical evening, CalArts has established The Wild Beast Concert Series.
Sponsors of The Wild Beast Concert Series
Official Piano of The Wild Beast
For more information about sponsorship of The Wild Beast Concert Series, please call Claudia Bloom at 661.253.7705 or firstname.lastname@example.org .