Settling a Student Account
Tuition, fees, and on-campus housing (if applicable) are charged per semester. Payment arrangements must be made prior to the start of each semester. Students and families have several options:
- Direct payment of tuition, fees and on-campus housing (if applicable)
- Financial aid resources, including private loans
- Set up a monthly payment plan through Tuition Management Systems to divide your payment into specific monthly installments
- Any combination of the above.
Assessment of Late Fees
California Institute of the Arts reserves the right to assess a late fee of $200 if your registration is not complete by the due date.
To settle my student account, I intend to make full payment of my costs by check, cash, credit card or wire transfer. The expectation is that you will remit payment for the total balance due on your student account by the due date. To determine the balance due, deduct any fully processed financial aid awards from your semester charges. As long as payment of the balance due is received at CalArts by the due date, your account is considered settled.
Repayment through Financial Aid and Private Loans
To settle my student account, I intend to utilize financial aid including private loans. The expectation is that the various components of your financial aid award will be set for disbursement by the due date and will be sufficient to cover the balance due on your student account. Any loans included in your award must meet the following criteria: credit check approved (if applicable), promissory note received by the lender, and disbursement date set. It is not necessary for Cal Arts to have received payment from any of your loans. It is only necessary for the disbursement dates to be established by the due date. Even if the actual disbursements will occur well after the due date, as long as they are established by the due date, your account is considered settled.
Monthly Payment Option
To settle my student account, I intend to set up a monthly payment plan through Tuition Management Systems. The expectation is that your monthly payment plan account will be active, accurately budgeted and current by the school’s due date. In addition, CalArts must receive a signed promissory note. If these conditions are met by the semester due date, your student account is considered settled.
In an effort to help students and families meet their educational expenses, CalArts has partnered with Tuition Management Systems (TMS) to administer a monthly payment plan. CalArts payment plan is an Interest-Free Monthly Payment Plan, handled by Tuition Management Systems, which allows you to divide tuition and other expenses into four smaller monthly payments spread out over the semester.
- The cost to enroll is $45 per semester. There is no interest or other costs as long as you make your payments on time. If your payment is late, there is a $40 late fee.
- Once enrolled, you will be billed monthly by Tuition Management Systems. Payments can be made through Tuition Management Systems online, by phone or by mail. Automatic monthly deductions from your checking or savings accounts are available at no additional cost.
- For the fall semester, TMS offers a four payment plan. Your payments are due by Aug. 1, Sept. 1, Oct. 1. and Nov. 1. If your semester balance is not paid in full by Nov. 15th, you will not be eligible for a payment plan the following semester.
- For the spring semester, TMS offers a four payment plan. Your payments are due by Dec. 1, Jan. 1, Feb. 1, and March 1. If your semester balance is not paid in full by March 15th, you will not be eligible for a payment plan the following semester.
- If you enroll in a TMS payment plan which is then terminated for nonpayment, the entire outstanding balance for the semester becomes due to CalArts immediately. If you have a history of delinquent payments you may not be eligible for a payment plan in the future.
- To find out more or to set up a payment plan, please visit TMS's website.