The Real World: CalArts and Beyond Career Series
CalArts, XBox, Cafe A, President's Conference Room
Individual Consultations and Group Workshops
A consultant with Artservices & Company based in southern Utah, Kim Konikow engages in projects that facilitate artistic growth and build community with a focus on organizational development. She has extensive experience as an arts presenter, manager, educator and administrator for a wide range of regional, state and national organizations. Ms. Konikow holds a BA in Art History and Theatre from George Washington University and a dual MFA in Arts Administration and Theatre Direction from Brooklyn College/City University of New York.
Private sessions with Ms. Konikow are designed for students to discuss personal and artistic career goals and receive practical feedback on online and written presentation materials. To schedule a one-on-one appointment, email email@example.com with three available times. Your meeting will be confirmed within 24 hours, location to be determined. Each session can be up to one hour long. Please bring a laptop computer and your current résumé/CV, bio, portfolio, and/or publicity photos to the session.
Dec. 6–12 (including Sat. and Sun.)
9–11:30 am & 1:15–6:15 pm
Three appointments also available
These four seminars examine the practical aspects of a career in the arts. You may participate in as many as you like. Gain a holistic perspective on the creative, financial and administrative aspects of careers in the arts.
The Art of Taking Care of Business
Fri., Dec. 6, 2-4 pm @ XBox
- Managing career expectations and analyzing options
- Presenting yourself to prospective employers, reps, agents, galleries, publishers, etc.
- Developing a personal mission statement that showcases your strengths
- Selecting a geographical base of operations
- Navigating the job market; seizing opportunities
- Documenting and archiving your work; maintaining financial records
- Building a network of professional relationships
First Steps on the Road to Recognition
Mon., Dec. 9, 5-7 pm @ Café A
- Writing bios, CVs and résumés
- Website design
- Publicity photographs
- Producing self-promotional videos
- Using social media
- Press releases and effective print campaigns
The Artist as Entrepreneur: Funding Your Own Projects
Tues., Dec. 10, 12-2 pm @ President’s Conference Room
- Independent or company structure—which will serve you best?
- Taxes and insurance
- Creative fundraising
- Fiscal Sponsorship
- Understanding the grant and panel process
Reaching Out: From the Studio to the World-at-Large
Wed., Dec. 11, 12-2 pm @ President’s Conference Room
- Conference participation
- Residency centers
- International opportunities
- Volunteer and pro bono work
- Arts advocacy and community participation