Position Category: Non-Academic
Position Title: Custodian
School/Department: Facilities Management
Reports To: Custodial Lead
Time: Full Time
Term of Employment:
Information & Responsibilities
This is a full time position on the graveyard shift working 3:00
a.m. to 11:30 a.m., Monday through Friday. Custodians are responsible for keeping assigned areas clean, sanitary, safe and orderly. Special cleaning and building maintenance duties may be assigned. This position is under the general supervision of the Custodial Supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS (include but are not limited to):
• Sweep, mop, scrub, wax and vacuum various floor covers.
• Dust, wax, wash and polish furniture and woodwork.
• Replenish restroom supplies and fill dispensers.
• Clean and polish metal work.
• Wash, scrub and disinfect restrooms.
• Wash windows, walls, sinks and water fountains.
• Observe and report the need for repairs.
• Pick up trash, and empty and clean trash receptacles.
• Do emergency clean-up resulting from vandalism, breakage, spills or illness.
• Report safety, sanitary and fire hazards.
• Other tasks as assigned by Facilities Management.
• Knowledge of modern cleaning methods and the use and care of cleaning materials and equipment.
• Knowledge of household-type hand tool usage and basic safety practices related to cleaning methods.
• Ability to maintain work schedule in performing tasks and to work effectively without close supervision.
• Capability to perform heavy physical labor, including lifting up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions in English.
• Ability to maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Upon offer of employment, must submit to and pass a background check and a physical examination.
• Minimum one year custodial or janitorial experience preferred.
• High school graduate or high school proficiency
How to Apply
This position is available immediately. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume in Word or PDF format only to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line: Custodian.
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees in all areas of visual and performing arts.
California Institute of the Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.