Fall 2020 Plan FAQ for Continuing International Students (July 24, 2020)

Continuing Students:  F-1 students whose CalArts SEVIS record has been "Active". This includes students who are in the U.S. whose SEVIS record has been transferred to CalArts.  Transfer students and returning from leave-of-absence students outside of the U.S. should read the FAQ for new students.

Where can I find FAQ for newly admitted students?

I-20, DOF, and F-1 Visa FAQ are located in the International Admission section.

  • On July 24, 2020 SEVP announced new information and clarifying questions for Fall 2020.
  • In short, we follow SEVP's March guidance with additional information on hybrid courses.

  • According to the current SEVP guidance (July 24, 2020), you can maintain your F-1 status remotely if you are enrolled full-time and making normal progress toward your degree.

  • If you are a full-time remote continuing student you will keep your I-20. You need a valid F-1 visa to enter the U.S.. While in the U.S. your F-1 visa is OK to expire.

  • If you are a part-time remote continuing student your SEVIS record will be terminated for Fall 2020. You can still use your valid F-1 visa in your passport.

  • According to the current SEVP guidance (July 24, 2020), if you are enrolled full-time remotely your SEVIS record will stay  "ACTIVE".

  • In general, F-1 regulations do not allow students to enroll part-time and maintain status. If you do not enroll full-time we will need to terminate your SEVIS status. If you must enroll in a reduced course load due to medical reasons, please contact the Office of International Students and Programs to discuss your situation.
  • Please fill out the Part-Time Registration Request Form for the Registrar's Office.

  • According to the current SEVP guidance (July 24, 2020), yes.

  • During the fall 2020 semester continuing  F-1 students should be enrolled full-time in any combination of the courses.

  • No. If you begin the fall 2020 semester as a remote student, you cannot change to in-person courses in the middle of the semester.

  • F-1 and J-1 students residing in the United States are typically required to enroll full-time in order to maintain visa status. All BFA students, and all MFA students in the Schools of Art, Dance, and Music must enroll in at least 12 units per semester. All MA first year students, and MFA students in the schools of Critical Studies, Film/Video, and Theater must enroll in a minimum of 9 units per semester. MA second year students in Critical Studies must enroll in a minimum of 6 units per semester. DMA students must enroll in at least 10 units per semester.


  • Online classes will mix live sessions with faculty and asynchronous sessions (done at your own time). Faculty understand that due to location and time zone differences, some students may need more asynchronous content. They are evaluating their course content and will work with the students enrolled to provide the best educational delivery for their teaching.

  • Please check with your program. 

  • Typically, an internship course could be taken after studying at CalArts for one academic year. In order to do an internship in the US, F-1 students need to apply for Curricular Practical Training. The F-1 regulations allow students to engage in CPT after maintaining good F-1 status for an academic year at CalArts. 
  • If you are a remote student for fall 2020 and are interested in earning internship credits please contact our office. If you are working outside of the US working for a non-US company you do not need CPT.


  • Many community colleges or university extensions offer open enrollment for students without degree objectives. You may be able to enroll in courses at those colleges. However, those units do not count toward your full course load to maintain your student visa status. So, you are still out of status if you are part-time at CalArts.

  • If you already have F-1 visa and travel as a tourist to visit CalArts your F-1 visa may be revoked at the port of entry. You may also be considered to have intention to take online courses while inside of the US, so we advise you not to.

  • According to the current SEVP Guidance (July 24, 2020), you can be in the U.S., in your home country, or anywhere in the world.

  • Your graduation date will be determined by when you complete all course and unit requirements, as well as when you complete the on-campus residency requirement. A part-time semester does not normally count toward a full-semester of residency, so going part-time will usually delay your graduation by one semester for each semester of part-time enrollment. It is possible that this policy will be adjusted on an exception basis in the fall, but prior to making any plans for part-time enrollment, we encourage you to speak with both your mentor and your academic advisor.


  • No, you don't. Please complete this form. The health insurance fee will be removed from your tuition account.