Health and Safety Guidelines
- Based on Center for Disease Control and Los Angeles County Public Health guidance, face coverings are required indoors even for those who are fully vaccinated. Masks/face coverings are required indoors on the CalArts campus regardless of vaccination status. They will also be required in certain outdoor events.
- If you are working alone in a private space you may remove your mask. You may also remove your mask in your residence hall room, and to eat and drink in Steve’s Café.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Protection, “face covering” means a surgical mask, a medical procedure mask, a respirator worn voluntarily, or a tightly woven fabric or non-woven material of at least two layers. A face covering has no visible holes or openings and must cover the nose and mouth. A face covering does not include a scarf, ski mask, balaclava, bandana, turtleneck, collar, or a single layer of fabric. Please see the CDC's current face covering guidance.
- Anyone in the community that has been exposed to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19, must report this using the LiveSafe app and be tested.
- If you are exempt from the vaccination policy, you must quarantine for 10 days.
- If you are vaccinated, you must monitor your own symptoms for 7 days.
COVID-19 Positive Cases
- Anyone in the community that tests positive for COVID-19 must report this using the LiveSafe app and will need to isolate. We will continue to notify campus of all positive cases. If you are identified as a person who may have had close contact with someone COVID positive, you will be contacted and asked to take a COVID test.
- If a student shows symptoms of COVID-19, students should use the link below to:
Find a testing site
- If a student has a positive Covid-19 test, they should contact the COVID Compliance Team at email@example.com to notify them of having tested positive, self-isolate for 10-14 days, and contact their primary care provider/clinic for proper medical guidance. Once the 10-14 days have passed and have been symptom-free for 3 days (72 hours), the student must have two negative test results submitted to the COVID Compliance Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. The covid compliance team will notify the student with permission to return back to campus.
Find a testing site
Quarantine and Isolation
For students living in the dorms on campus, spaces have been reserved on campus in the event that a student needs to be quarantined or isolated. If these spaces are full, the Institute will assist the student in finding an appropriate place to fulfill this requirement.
LA County Announces Indoor Performance Guidelines
The County has provided new updates for higher education regarding specifics for indoor performances. These specifics include:
- Vaccinated performers do not need to wear a mask during a performance
- All crew, audience, and other individuals in the vicinity of the performance must wear masks.
- All rehearsals must be completed with masks on.
- Unvaccinated performers who will be performing without a mask must be tested—once prior to the performance and twice a week during the performance.
Please note that performances involving singing and wind instruments are allowed with specific testing requirements.
Back to top