The LA County Department of Public Health recently confirmed the first (and so far only) case of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus in Los Angeles County. The person was a returning traveler from Wuhan City, China, and is currently being treated at a Los Angeles hospital. CalArts is monitoring the situation to help ensure the health of the community and prevent the spread of Coronavirus and other infectious diseases.
If you have traveled abroad recently or have been in close contact with people who have recently traveled, please visit CalArts Health Services in D208 (for students only), your medical provider or emergency room If you are experiencing these symptoms: fever, cough, and breathing difficulty.
The Novel Coronavirus spreads through the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. Symptoms are thought to appear within two to 14 days after exposure.
It’s also the middle of flu season, and as a reminder, here are a few tips to prevent the spread of the flu and other infectious diseases:
- Stay home when you’re sick or have flu symptoms;
- Wash your hands often;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth;
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing;
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick; and
- Practice healthy habits (get enough sleep, exercise, liquids, etc.).