Dear Students, Faculty, and Staff,
On Friday, April 10, the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health provided additional guidance to the Safer at Home Order for Control of COVID-19. Much of the new information is already in place on campus, but the two most notable additions are:
- A requirement to provide all employees whose duties require contact with other employees and/or the public with a cloth face covering to wear while performing duties that involve contact with others.
- Requiring that members of the public who enter the facility wear a face covering during their time in the facility.
CalArts is immediately acting to implement these new precautions as well as the entirety of the requirements in this new order.
Any students, faculty, or staff who need masks when they come to campus should first visit either Facilities Management or the Campus Safety Office to pick up the required masks.
In order to comply with this new directive, new distancing measures will be established in the cafe, and hand sanitizer stations will continue to be available at the campus safety entrance and throughout the building.
Please also review the full text of CalArts’ Social Distancing Protocol below, which can also be found on the website. You can find LA County Public Health's Safer at Home Order here.
Please note that this order exempts employees at “educational institutions (including public and private K-12 schools, colleges, and universities) for purposes of facilitating distance learning, providing meals for pick-up, or performing Minimum Basic Operations, provided that Social Distancing is practiced.”
Thank you for your continued efforts to help stop the spread of COVID-19 and to save lives. For questions, please contact Campus Safety at 661-222-2702.
Be well, and be safe.
The Emergency Response Team
SAFER AT HOME ORDER FOR CONTROL OF COVID-19
Social Distancing Protocol
Essential Businesses are directed to continue to maximize the number of employees who work from home. Essential Businesses must follow industry-specific guidance issued by the Health Officer. This protocol must be posted at or near the entrance of the building, easily viewable by employees. A copy of the Social Distancing Protocol must be provided to each employee performing work at the California Institute of the Arts. CalArts will do the following:
- Limit the number of people who may enter into the facility at any one time to ensure that people can easily maintain a minimum six-foot distance from others, except as required to complete an Essential Business activity.
- Provide hand sanitizer, soap, and water, or effective disinfectant at or near the entrance of the building and throughout the building for use by employees.
- Post a sign in a conspicuous place at the entrance of the building that instructs people not to enter if they are experiencing symptoms of respiratory illness, including fever or cough, and to maintain Social Distancing from one another.
- Provide regular disinfection of high-touch surfaces.
- Provide cloth face coverings to employees and contracted workers whose duties require close contact (within six feet for 10 minutes or more) with other employees.
- Require that all members of the public who enter the facility wear a face covering during their time in the facility.
- Adhere to communicable disease control recommendations provided by the LA County Department of Public Health, including guidance for cleaning and disinfecting. See guidance posted at: http://www.publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/CleaningMatrix.pdf