Jump to Navigation

New Student Orientation

All new students are invited to participate in orientation activities beginning on Tuesday, September 2nd. There will be an information session and activities for all new undergraduate and graduate students throughout the week.

The 2014 Institute-wide orientation schedule will posted after July 1, 2014 with a comprehensive list of events for the entire Institute. 

2013 Institute-wide Orientation Schedule

2013 School-specific Orientation Schedules

Meetings are separated by each individual school. NOTE: Please make sure to attend all applicable events (New BFA, New Transfers, New Graduate) as listed in the Institute wide schedule.

2013 Orientation Highlights

Tuesday, September 3rd
1:30pm – 4:30pm: Parents’ orientation meeting
4:30pm – 5:30pm: Welcome reception for new students and families hosted by the President and Provost

Wednesday, September 4th
8:30am – 10am: Orientation for international students
9:00am – Noon, 1:00pm – 4:00pm: New student check-in
Noon – 1:00pm: Luncheon for new BFA students in the Café
1:00pm – 3:00pm: First year experience activity for new BFAs
3:10pm – 4:00pm: Institute orientation for new transfer students
4:10pm – 5:30pm: Institute orientation for new graduate students

Thursday, September 5th
9:00am – 10:00am: Critical Studies Orientation for new BFAs
1:00pm – 5:00pm: School Meetings

Friday, September 6th
9:00am – 4:00pm: Class sign up

First Year Experience Program For BFAs

All new BFA students are invited to participate in the CalArts First Year Experience Program on Wednesday, September 4th. Please join us for lunch as this is a wonderful opportunity for you to meet fellow students, faculty and staff. A presentation by CalArts faculty and invited guests will follow. During orientation week, we hope you will attend informational meetings and social activities designed to introduce you to life as a CalArts student.

Academic Advising

Academic advising is an important part of your CalArts education. Developing a relationship with an academic advisor is a critical component to your success as a student. Your advisor will help you inderstand your academic requirements, help you create an academic plan, and help you set educational and personal goals. To schedule your advising appointment, please contact the Institute Academic Advisor, Mike Fitzgerald, at mfitzgerald@calarts.edu.

Housing Information

If you will be living on-campus:

  • Look for a separate mailing form from Housing for more details about living on campus
  • Each student residing on-campus has a specific room check-in appointment time

There is a schedule of events and meeting times specifically for on-campus residents.

If you plan to live off campus:

You will need to allow plenty of time to search for an apartment or house. Go to calarts.edu/campus/residential-life/off-campus-housing in order to:

  • Post a roommate search
  • Browse the listed housing posts
  • Follow links to additional housing resources
  • Browse a list of local hotels

How To Get To CalArts

If you are driving to CalArts, take Interstate 5 to the area just north of the San Fernando Valley. Exit McBean Parkway and turn east. CalArts is located on the right immediately past the off-ramp. Parking on campus is free, however you must register your vehicle at the Facilities Office Monday - Friday, 9 am to 5pm. Students who will be living on-campus and need to be picked up from either the Burbank Airport or the Van Nuys Flyaway (a bus that travels from LAX to Van Nuys) should call the Housing Office at (661) 253-7897 to make arrangements in advance. All other students will need to use a shuttle, taxi, or rental car.

For transportation reservations, call or visit the following companies on-line:

For information on navigating through the LA Area, the Thomas Guide is a great resource. It is available for purchase by calling (800) 777-MAPS or on www.thomas.com.

Mailing Boxes & Luggage

You may need to mail things to yourself at CalArts, but we ask that you time your mail to arrive once you are here on campus. There is no long term storage in the mailroom. Make sure you use the mailbox number that has been assigned to you. You will learn your mailbox number once you complete the online registration process on the CalArts academic serivces website.

On-Campus Employment Information

If you are offered a position to work on-campus, you will need to present original documentation to the Office of Human Resources/Payroll that verifies you are authorized to work in the United States. A "List of Acceptable Document(s)" can be found on page five (5) of the Employee Eligibility Verification (I-9) form to help you determine what type of documentation to bring with you. The form may be found at www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf or you may contact the Office of Human Resources/Payroll at (661)255-1050 ext. 2626. Please be sure to have these important document(s) in your possession when you arrive on campus. Failure to present these document(s) will delay your ability to begin you on-campus work assignment.

It is a federal requirement that all employees complete Section 1 (Employee Information and Verification) of this form at the time they are hired for employment. Again, you must present original identification document(s) on or before the first day of employment to Human Resources/Payroll Office. This office will review you document(s), make photocopies for their file and complete Section 2 (Employer Review and Verification) of the form. ORIGINAL DOCUMENT(S) ARE REQUIRED. PHOTOCOPIES WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.

For Payroll Purposes Only

It is important to bring your original Social Security card with you to complete payroll enrollment information. Your original Social Security card is required to ensure year-end W-2 reportings are accurate and your earning are reported accurately for future eligibility to (and amounts paid under) Social Security's retirement, disability and survivors program. If you have lost, misplaced, or do not have access to your original Social Security card, you may request a replacement card before your first day of work by visiting a Social Security Administration Office. The closest Social Security Administration Office to CalArts is located at 23504 Lyons Ave., 3rd Floor, Suite 303, Santa Clarita, CA 91321. They are open Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 4:00pm except on Federal holidays. You will be required to bring original documents that verify your identity in order to request a replacement card. For more information regarding documents, please visit the Social Security Administration website at: http://www.ssa.gov.

If you request a replacement card, you will be given a receipt/number printout verifying your Social Security number. Please bring the original receipt to the Payroll departments in order to be enrolled in the payroll system. When you receive your replacement card, you will need to bring the replacement card to the Payroll department for verification.

International Students must provide a proper passport, visa, and I-20 to the payroll office before engaging in on-campus employment. Those who do not have a Social Security number must apply for one when hired. Off-campus employment requires special authorization from USCIS and is restricted in the first year of study. Information on obtaining a Social Security number and/or work permit will be provided in the International Students Breakfast Orientation on Wednesday, September 4th at 8:30 am. For more information, please contact Penelope Weston, International Students and Programs Advisot at pweston@calarts.edu.

Additional Information

Please visit the Student Affairs website at http://calarts.edu/student-services. For any questions, contact us via phone at (661)253-7874 or email at studentaffairs@calarts.edu.

Last edited by mryan on May 29, 2014
Close Menu
Open Menu