CalArts Graduation 2014
California Institute of the Arts announces the 2014 graduating class
Friday, May 16, 2014 at 6 pm
in the Graduation Courtyard of the CalArts campus
(northside of campus, along McBean Parkway)
The ceremony is very informal, as is CalArts. There are no robes, gowns or hats. The ceremony also takes place outside, so depending on the weather, the temperature can range from very warm to cool once the sun sets.
Seating is limited, so if you are expecting a large group it is advised to come early to secure seats.
We suggest that extra time be allowed for the drive up the 5 freeway on Friday evening. It is a favorite route out of Los Angeles and is often more crowded and slower than anticipated. Drive time from LAX to CalArts can take as long as 1.5 hours during rush hour.
Parking on campus is limited, however off-site parking and a shuttle back to CalArts will be available. If parking on campus is preferred, it is recommended to arrive 2 hours prior to the beginning of the ceremony. Disabled parking, with visible placard, is available on campus.
At the conclusion of the Graduation ceremony, a reception with hors d'oeuvres and drinks will be provided in the Main Gallery.
If you have any time-sensitive questions, please contact the Office of Student Affairs at (661) 253-7874 or at email@example.com for assistance.
Message to the Graduates
Dear Graduating CalArtian,
CONGRATULATIONS on arriving at this place on your CalArts journey! You have worked hard and now it is time to celebrate your accomplishments.
We hope that you are excited about Graduation 2014 which will be held on Friday, May 16, 2014 at 6PM in the Graduation Courtyard with a reception immediately following in the Main Gallery.
This year’s Graduation theme and design, WE HAVE ARRIVED! was created by graduating CalArtian, Carol Yoo, BFA in Costume/Scenic Design. As Carol describes in the set design proposal, you, as a CalArtian from your respective school of CalArts, have arrived, ”crash landed” on this day of Graduation “as a collective whole embarking on a journey together to change the face of the art making world.”
We are pleased to provide each graduate with six graduation announcements and mailing envelopes for your family and friends. Additional announcements will be available after April 25 in the Office of Student Affairs at A207.
The 2014 Graduation Committee is working diligently to make this year’s graduation a festive and meaningful celebration for you and your families. We will provide email updates and reminders in the weeks leading up to the big day, including a letter with more details on the actual Graduation ceremony and instructions regarding graduate line-up, so please check your email for this information.
Here is some important information as you begin preparation for Graduation 2014:
• Graduation Announcements: You have received Graduation announcements, not invitations, as seating at the site is limited to three (3) guests per graduate. If you wish to invite additional guests, your guests may bring blankets and lawn chairs to set up on the grassy area in the courtyard. We hope to provide live streaming of Graduation this year to allow remote viewing for guests unable to attend the ceremony.
• Graduating Class Photo: Each year, the graduating class is photographed as a group by Institute photographer, Scott Groller and you will receive a copy of the photo. The photo will take place on Thursday, April 24th at 4:45pm in the Graduation Courtyard (the grassy area between the Music school and the Super Shop). Please arrive by 4:45pm to allow time for organizing the group and the photo shoot should be completed by 5PM. Mark your calendar.
• Music Clip: During the Graduation ceremony, you will be able to choose a short music clip (9 seconds) that plays as you cross the stage and receive your diploma – optional for each graduate. You will receive a detailed email with instructions and the deadline for submitting your music. If you choose this option, begin thinking now about your music clip.
• Graduation Day: You will need to check in by 5PM on the day of graduation to lineup and receive additional instructions. A letter will be provided with specific details.
• Graduation Website: For updated information on graduation, please refer your guests to the website at http://calarts.edu/student-services/graduation.
• Special Accommodations: If any of your guests require special accommodations such as wheelchair seating or disabled parking, please contact Tina in Student Affairs as early as possible to make seating and parking arrangements at firstname.lastname@example.org or
You will receive additional information and reminders via email over the next few weeks, so please check your CalArts email regularly.
If you have any questions about Graduation 2014, please contact the Office of Student Affairs in A207.
Congratulations and we look forward to a great Graduation this year!
Renee Barnett Terry
Interim Dean of Student Affairs
There is a wide selection of hotels near the campus; the closest are located in Stevenson Ranch. Please take into account, however, that
most hotels are not within walking distance of the campus. If a shuttle is dropping you off at a hotel from the airport, you may need to make arrangements to take a taxi to the campus.
This website is the most comprehensive listing of hotels in the Valencia area. Many of these hotels offer a "CalArts" rate; if you would like to know if a hotel offers a CalArts rate, it is best to call the local Hotel phone number rather than the toll-free telephone number.