Search this regularly updated database for listings from
local landlords and from those students seeking housing options:
Please be cautious when receiving responses that mimic the following steps. This is a scam!
1) Renter is out of town or country but wants to rent the space "sight unseen".
2) A link to a social website is provided.
3) A check is sent to you in an amount that far exceeds the required deposit and move in fee. If the fee for move in is $750.00 a check will be sent in a larger amount, for example, the check was sent in the amount of $2,900.00.
4) The "renter" asks you to reimburse them the difference because a mistake has been made on the original payment.
5) They hope you deposit the check and only learn later that the check is not valid. In the meantime, you may have sent them the overpayment. The scam could have resulted in a loss of $2,150.00.
6) Timing is of the essence for this scam.
DO NOT accept this type of response. Mark the email as spam.