Student Loan Repayment
While student loans are a fact of life for most students, we share your concerns about student loan debt and we know you may have a lot of questions about your student loans when you leave school. This page contains resources and information about student loan repayment options, debt management, where to obtain student loan information, and much more.
Not sure which loans you borrowed, how much, and when? Your first stop is the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) - log in to find out all the details about your federal student loan history:
- National Student Loan Data System - Look up your federal student loan history at the U.S. Department of Education’s student loan database.
- For information about private educational loans, please contact your lender.
Student Loan Exit Counseling - Remember, this is a federal requirement for ALL federal student loan borrowers when they leave school or drop below half-time enrollment status.
Loan Repayment Options:
- Repaying My Loans - Repayment plans are designed to meet the different needs of individual borrowers.
- Repayment Plans and Calculators - Calculate your estimated repayment amount under each of the different plans.
- Loan Repayment Calculator - an interactive tool that allows you to estimate your monthly loan payments when you leave school.
- Loan Consolidation, Deferment and Forbearance
- Loan Forgiveness for Public Service Employees - Loan forgiveness after you have made 120 payments on federal loans under certain repayment plans while employed full time by certain public service employers. Employees are nonprofit organizations may also be eligible; see click here for details.
- Cancellation/Deferment Options for Teachers - If you're a teacher serving in a low-income or subject-matter shortage area, it might be possible for you to cancel or defer your student loans.
- Teach for America - You can use the education award toward repayment of qualified student loans, teacher training and certification, future graduate school costs.
- Americorps - Pay back qualified student loans or earn education award to pay for college.
- Peace Corps - Options for possible deferment or partial cancellation of student loans.
- iGrad Financial Literacy resources and information.
- Federal Student Aid Ombudsman - Helps resolve disputes and solve other problems with federal student loans.
- Student Loan Borrower Assistance Project - A resource for borrowers, their families, and advocates representing student loan borrowers.
- "Like" us on FACEBOOK for updated information and articles about student loan debt and repayment.
We're here to help. If you still have questions or cannot find the information that you need, contact the CalArts Financial Aid Office: firstname.lastname@example.org , 661-253-7878 or 800-443-0480.