Instructional Designer/Academic Technologist
Position Category: Non-Academic
Position Title: Instructional Designer/Academic Technologist
School/Department: Information Technology
Reports To: Director, Information Technology
Time: Full Time
Term of Employment:
Information & Responsibilities
The Instructional Designer/Academic Technologist is responsible for working collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students to develop and implement instructional design solutions across the Institute. This position partners with faculty in the learning design process, to make the best use of contemporary teaching methods and technology to enhance student education. The Instructional Designer/Academic Technologist will be assisting with the creation of CalArts’ educational goals and initiatives, while helping to create the technological baseline for future learning endeavors.
● Partner with faculty to develop and enhance curriculum by utilizing technology.
● Develop and conduct tutorials, technical training sessions, and workshops for faculty, staff, and students.
● Collaborate with faculty to develop effective course web sites and digital learning materials.
● Collaborate with faculty and staff to develop, implement, and support, new and existing learning technologies.
● Design, support, and maintain learning management systems.
● Create, update, prioritize, and track customer problems using an existing ticket system.
● Provide technical and course design support while delivering exceptional customer service.
● Provide learning needs analysis to ensure the appropriateness of digital instructional materials.
● Maintain audio/video presentation systems, including teleconferencing systems.
● Assist customers in person, telephone, email, or through remote support sessions.
● Utilize online resources/tools to supplement the troubleshooting and diagnosing of customer issues.
● Design and develop print and web based documentation.
● Maintain a knowledge base to promote customer self-support.
● Keep abreast of the health and stability of all Information Technology services and issues timely alerts to affected customers if issues arise.
● Complete ongoing training to keep current with product, service, and policy changes.
● Collaborate with entire Information Technology team to ensure the delivery of services.
● Maintain a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and work relationship with faculty, staff, students, and the CalArts community at large.
● Collaborate with co-workers on departmental and institute-wide projects.
● Follow and maintain Customer Care, Network Operations, and Application Development policies and procedures.
● In addition to the position responsibilities mentioned above, the individual has the responsibility to carry out unique tasks as requested by their superiors.
● Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to develop, maintain, and cultivate relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
● Outstanding oral and written communications.
● Outstanding attention to detail.
● Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
● A willingness to travel to remote sites for technology support, installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting.
● Ability to train and support faculty, staff, and students in the use of learning technologies.
● Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
● Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 3-years experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Minimum 3-years experience in an academic or technology role.
● Teaching or training experience.
● Expert level knowledge in curriculum development.
● Expert level knowledge with Learning Management Systems.
● Expert level knowledge in academic and productivity computer applications.
● Experience with audio/video systems.
● Experience with technology support.
● Experience with distance education.
● Experience with social media.
How to Apply
This position is available immediately. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject line: Instructional Designer/Academic Technologist in order to be considered.
No Recruiters or Job Shops
Equity & Diversity
CalArts is proud of its diverse student body and deeply committed to
supporting the cultural and artistic aspirations of all its students. A
commitment to increasing opportunities for low-income students and
currently disenfranchised groups is necessary, as is the desire to work
to support institutional goals of equity and diversity in an ongoing
way. CalArts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). In our efforts to reach a diverse application pool, please follow the link to fill out an optional survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Eq_Div
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts
through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and
Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the
complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a
distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor
and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure
necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and
opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United
States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees
in all areas of visual and performing arts.