Position Category: Non-Academic
Position Title: Academic Technologist
School/Department: Information Technology
Reports To: Director, Information Technology
Time: Full Time
Term of Employment:
Information & Responsibilities
The Academic Technologist is responsible for working collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students to develop and implement instructional design solutions across the Institute. This position partners with faculty in the learning design process to make the best use of contemporary teaching methods and technology to enhance student learning. Responsibilities include supporting institute academic software, LMS system, online learning, and training faculty, staff and students. Providing support for other technology services, fielding incoming technology problems and questions via telephone, e-mail, ticket system, and face-to-face interactions is also required.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Develop and deliver tutorials, technical training sessions, and workshops.
• Develop instructional web and media-based interactive learning objects.
• Partner with faculty to develop effective course web sites and digital learning materials in a timely fashion.
• Provide technical and course design support while delivering exceptional customer service.
• Create, update, prioritize, and track customer problems using a ticket system.
• Partner with faculty and staff to develop, implement, and support, new and existing learning technologies.
• Coordinate technology-training efforts for faculty, staff, and students. This including preparing materials, offering training sessions, developing tutorials, and recruiting qualified presenters.
• Support learning management systems.
• Collaborate with co-workers on departmental and college-wide projects.
• Design and develop print and web based user documentation.
• Provide methods for learning needs analysis to ensure the appropriateness of digital instructional materials.
• Assist in assessing the effectiveness of course materials that are produced.
• Implement, design, and maintain audio/video presentation systems, including teleconferencing systems.
• Resolve problems in person, telephone, email, or through a remote support session.
• Utilize online resources/tools to supplement the troubleshooting and diagnosing of customer issues.
• Follow and maintains Customer Care, Network Operations standards, and Application Development policies and procedures.
• Interact with Customer Care, Network Operations and Application Development teams to maintain regular operations and troubleshoot issues.
• Maintain a Knowledge Base to promote customer self-support.
• Keep abreast of the health and stability of all Information Technology services and issues timely alerts to affected customers if issues arise.
• Maintain positive relationships with vendors.
• Complete ongoing training to stay alongside product, service, and policy changes.
• Collaborate with entire Information Technology team to ensure the delivery of services.
• Maintain a positive, helpful, constructive attitude and work relationship with staff, faculty, students, and the CalArts community at large.
• In addition to the position responsibilities mentioned above, the individual has the responsibility to carry out unique tasks as requested by their superiors.
• Travel to remote sites for system installation, maintenance, and troubleshooting
• Develop tutorials and other training materials.
• Provide periodic reports on course development and other projects.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to develop, maintain, and cultivate relationships with internal and external clients.
• Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to prioritize and to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
• Ability to train and support students, faculty, and staff in the use of learning technologies.
• Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
• Attention to detail.
• Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
• Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of three (3) years’ experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Expert level knowledge of technology, ability to develop new technology programs to better serve the institute.
• Expert level knowledge of Windows XP through 8.
• Expert level knowledge of Mac OS X.
• Expert level knowledge of Academic and productivity applications such as Microsoft Office.
• Experience with social media.
• Experience with Audio/Video Systems.
• Experience with streaming audio and video and podcasting.
• Experience with Online Learning Systems.
• Experience with Academic Learning Management Systems.
• Experience with mobile devices.
• Experience with SaaS (such as Google Apps).
• Understanding of network equipment such as Switches, Wireless Access Points, Ethernet cables, Wired and Wireless Network Interface Cards, etc.
How to Apply
This position is available immediately. If you are interested, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in the subject line: Academic Technologist in order to be considered. No phone calls please. No recruiters or job shops.
Equity & Diversity
CalArts is proud of its diverse student body and deeply committed to
supporting the cultural and artistic aspirations of all its students. A
commitment to increasing opportunities for low-income students and
currently disenfranchised groups is necessary, as is the desire to work
to support institutional goals of equity and diversity in an ongoing
way. CalArts is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). In our efforts to reach a diverse application pool, please follow the link to fill out an optional survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Eq_Div
CalArts has a multidisciplinary approach to its studies of the arts
through six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and
Theater. CalArts encourages students to explore and recognize the
complexity of the many aspects of the arts. It is supported by a
distinguished faculty of practicing artists and provides its Bachelor
and Master of Fine Arts students with the hands-on training and exposure
necessary for an artist's growth. CalArts was founded in 1961 and
opened in 1969 as the first institution of higher learning in the United
States specifically for students interested in the pursuit of degrees
in all areas of visual and performing arts.