Commons is a student-led effort to affirm the interdisciplinary ambitions of CalArts.
Thursdays, 4-7 pm
It is a time when all students at the Institute, unencumbered by formal academic responsibilities, have the opportunity to meet, to create, to invent, to discuss, and to engage in the possibility of dynamic, collaborative art-making across métiers.
- Commons is a time for conversations that one didn’t know one had the time for.
- Commons is a place for conversations one didn’t know one could have.
Commons is what you make it. It is a time with no classes, no reviews, no rehearsals, an open time, fully determined by you. There are hundreds of ways to apply your skills and explore new interests. Get moving, get active, and get involved!
Where to begin?
Here’s a few suggestions:
- First figure out what makes you excited. Find some more people who share your excitement. Do something. Anything.
- Hold a jam session with people who didn't think they could jam together.
- Teach a yoga workshop open to all students.
- Strike up a conversation with someone you never met over dinner at the Café.
- Host an open drawing session. Encourage unconventional drawing tools.
A leader at heart? Join the Commons Council in helping oversee Commons.
- Matthew Bamberg-Johnson, School of Theater
- Ian Walker, School of Music
- Solly Benzacar, School of Film/Video
- Diego Robles, Schools of Film/Video & Critical Studies
Questions about Commons? Contact the Commons Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are a number of Project Assistance Grants available to CalArts' students who are working on specific art projects.
Stay up-to-date with events and other Commons information by joining the CalArts Commons Facebook page!
Spaces and Facilities
Now that you have a clear idea of what you want to do, you need a place to hold it. Here is information about the spaces on campus that you can reserve for Commons. List of Spaces and Facilities.