Emergency Management Guide
Emergency Response Plan
California Institute of the Arts is committed to supporting the welfare of its students, faculty, staff and visitors. Preparing a campus crisis/emergency response plan and allocating resources to respond to possible emergencies is one way in which the Institute offers this support.
The Emergency Response Plan is designed to maximize human survival and preservation of property, minimize danger, restore normal operations of the Institute, and assure responsive communications with the community, surrounding neighborhoods, and interested parties.
The plan is set in operation whenever a natural or induced emergency affecting the Institute reaches proportions that cannot be handled by established measures. A crisis may be sudden and unforeseen, or there may be varying periods of warning. This plan is intended to be sufficiently flexible to accommodate contingencies of all types, magnitudes, and duration.
The prime responsibility of the plan is to the Institute community (CalArts main campus and satellite locations) for which it is designed. The intent is for the plan to be viewed as a tool to accomplish the above stated purpose with a minimum of confusion and wasted effort.
Important CalArts Contact Information
In the event of a major emergency affecting the campus, check CalArts status using one of the methods below:
- Call the Campus Safety Office at 661.253.7815 or 661.222.2702
- Check for updates on the CalArts website at www.calarts.edu
- Call our out-of–state contact the Ringling School of Design at 941.351.5100
In the event of a major emergency on campus, CalArts will warn staff, faculty and students using the following methods:
- The building fire alarms will be activated as a signal to evacuate the buildings and assemble on the soccer field.
- A text and/or voice message will go out to all registered staff, faculty and students with specific information on the emergency situation. Updates will be sent using our text/voice system as information becomes available.
To report an emergency while on campus please contact:
- Campus Safety Office 661.253.7815 or 661.222.2702
- To report using an internal phone dial extensions 2222, 2113, 2114
- For the Fire Department, Sheriff, or Paramedics using an internal phone dial 9-911
CalArts is in the process of updating its comprehensive Emergency Management Guide (EMG). The current overview EMG has been posted below, and will be replaced upon completion of the new, comprehensive guide.
- Download CalArts' current Emergency Management Guide (pdf).