Save the Date: Oct. 18-19, 2013
Become a CalArtian for the weekend!
Join us for an exciting and immersive CalArts experience. Over the course of two days, be among the hundreds of family members who deepen their appreciation of this unique artistic and educational community. Take part in specially designed workshops and classes, view cutting-edge art exhibitions and performances, and meet and mingle with Institute leadership and faculty.
Friday, Oct. 18
|11 am||Registration / Sign-up for Friday classes and evening events - Main Entrance|
|11 am-5 pm,
|CalArts Weekend Lounge - MOD Lobby|
|12 pm||Welcome Luncheon - Clark's Field|
|1-5 pm||Class Visits - See full schedule for details|
|1:15-2:15 pm||Campus Tours - Main Gallery Box Office|
|2-4 pm||School of Art Open House - Request a map at the Registration desk|
|4-5 pm||Critical Studies / Critical Karaoke - Main Gallery Box Office|
|5 pm||Parents Circle Wine Reception - Langley Patio|
|6-8 pm||Dinner - Café|
|7:45 pm||Evening Programs - Main Gallery Box Office|
|8 pm||Movie Night / 2013 Character Animation Showcase - Bijou Theater|
|8 pm||We are Proud to Present a Presentation About the Herero of Namibia, Formerly Known as Southwest Africa, From the German Sudwestafrika, Between the Years 1884-1915 - Butler Building 2 (RSVP at Registration)|
|8 pm||Student Choice Dance Concert - Sharon Disney Lund Dance Theater|
Saturday, Oct. 19
|8:30 am||Registration and Welcome Coffee - Main Entrance|
|8:30 am-5 pm||CalArts Weekend Lounge - MOD Lobby|
|9 am||T’ai Chi & Qigong Demonstration and Class - Main Gallery|
|10-11 am||Session I
|10-12 pm||Carl Nielsen's Quintet for Winds - Roy O. Disney Concert Hall|
|10:45-12:30 pm||The Threepenny Opera: the greatest musical in rehearsal - E197|
|11:15–12:30 pm||Session II
|12:30-2 pm||Lunch - Café|
|2-4:30 pm||Idea Lab - Sharon Disney Lund Dance Theater|
|5-8 pm||CalArts Weekend Celebration and Dance Party - Wild Beast Music Pavilion and S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard - More information|
Advance tickets are available now at a discounted rate. General admission tickets start at $65 per person before Tuesday, Oct. 1. Tickets are $80 per person after this date and at on-site registration. Per-day pricing is not available.
Ticket price includes:
- Sit down lunch with deans and faculty on Friday
- Wine and hors d’oeuvres reception Friday evening
- Weekend programming including: student led tours of campus, all workshops, panels and entertainment
- A festive night of music on Saturday at the Wild Beast
- CalArts Weekend gift bag
- New this year – CalArts Weekend Lounge featuring light refreshments and opportunities to further engage with faculty and staff.
At the Wild Beast Music Pavilion and S. Mark Taper Foundation Courtyard:
- Dinner for sale from some of LA's favorite food trucks: In-N-Out Burger and Kogi BBQ
- 21 and over Beer and Wine Garden hosted by Wolf Creek Brewery
- Free outdoor concert featuring three CalArts alumni bands.
Celebrate CalArts Weekend with the entire CalArts community! This lineup of CalArts grads and guest artists is sure to move body and soul with an up-tempo, rousing revue of American, African and Balkan dance music, featuring:
- The Sogo Takeover, an inventive Afrobeat orchestra
- John Macy & The Heavy Hand, kicking out modern R&B
- Orkestar MÉZÉ, a Balkan brass band playing their trademark peasant funk
Embassy Suites Valencia
CalArts Parents Weekend Cutoff Date: 10/12/13
- Two Room King Bed Suite $105
- Two Room Double Bed Suite $125
- (Rates are subject to current Occupancy tax and California tourism fee)
To make reservations, call 661.257.3111 or visit www.valencia.embassysuites.com. Type "CAP" into the Group Code box.
Hyatt Regency Valencia
CalArts Parents Weekend Cutoff Date: 10/5/13
- Standard Guest Room Singles/Doubles $109
- (Rates are subject to applicable sales tax and service charges, currently $12% and $0.12 California State Tourism Tax)
Call the reservations line at 800.233.1234 or 661.799.1234; mention the group name "CalArts Weekend" or reserve online.
If you or a family member needs disability-related assistance, we can make special arrangements. Please let us know of your needs in advance by calling 661.253.7727.