Music Technology Requirements
Music Technology: Interaction, Intelligence & Design (MTIID) (BFA/MFA)
Due to its specialized and highly selective nature, students
interested in the Music Technology: Interaction, Intelligence, & Design program should read the program’s description and qualifications on the web site carefully and, before applying, e-mail a brief description of their musical and technical background to email@example.com. This process helps potential students understand the direction of study undertaken at CalArts in the MTIID program. A strong preference is given to applicants with previous exeprience in mathematics, computer science, physics, or engineering. The focus of the MTIID program is not in sound engineering or recording, although students have the ability (and are required) to pursue some classes and opportunities in that field.
More information (including student work) is available on the MTIID program microsite located at http://mtiid.calarts.edu.
- A portfolio documenting music technology experience and skill in composition, electronic performance, multimedia, electronics, and programming.
- The portfolio must be accompanied by a list of selections (in pdf or doc format) indicating your role (performer, composer, engineer, designer, etc.) and technical details (equipment, techniques, or technology used) for each piece or project.
- The portfolio must also contain a personal statement (up to 1000 words) discussing three areas: your major interests and career goals, your musical training and experience (including lessons and classes taken), and your experience with audio and computer technologies (computer music, synthesis, DSP, programming, recording, and related topics). This personal statement is different from the Artist's Statement that goes with the general CalArts application.
- A portfolio documenting music technology experience in the form of 2-4 minute demonstrations and/or live concert performances.
- Examples of software projects (code) or hardware (schematics) of past projects.
- A drawing and write-up of a creative, futuristic new musical interface of your own design (see proceedings of the conference on New Interfaces for Musical Expression for examples).
- An artistic statement discussing why technology is an important part of your musical & artistic process.
Portfolio Submissions for BFA and MFA MTIID applicants
We prefer that you use our online portfolio submission system. The online system accepts MP3's, documents, images and video. Once your portfolio is uploaded, it can be viewed and rearranged until the final submission is made. No changes can be made following the final submission of your portfolio. There is a $10 fee for each portfolio submission you make through the online system. Be sure to submit your portfolio to the correct degree level and program. If you experience technical difficulties while uploading your portfolio, you may send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org for technical support.