Online Course Offering
CalArts Portfolio Development Workshop for Artists & Animators
- Course Dates: July 1-Aug. 30, 2013. (Class sign-up online from June 3-28.)
- Instructor: John Mahoney
- Tuition: $1,000
- Prerequisite(s): Approval of instructor based on a review of student’s work.
- Students should be a high school freshman or older to apply. Please submit samples of your work—five digital images of drawings or paintings—along with your request for student status to email@example.com.
The CalArts Online Animation Portfolio Development Workshop is designed for students who are interested in exploring Concept Design and Visual Development, and enhancing their college application portfolios. Participation in this workshop does not imply an admissions advantage to CalArts or any other institution.
In this workshop, students are encouraged to express their creativity in as many ways as possible. Each week, different illustration styles are examined for inspiration. Students will produce exaggerated character designs that can be used as concepts for future animations, 3D models, graphic novel ideas and gallery work. The students will draw from films to learn about visual composition and story telling. This course focuses less on making perfect drawings and more on giving students an open arena to explore and learn to love drawing while broadening
creative ideation and output.
Students will be given an assignment each week, and the instructor will respond to their work with a video critique. To access the online classroom and particpate in critiques, students need to set up a user profile/account on Tenlegs, a networking site and collaboration space for artists. Through their participation in the workshop, students will learn what kind of content to include as part of an effective animation portfolio.
Course Materials & Equipment List
Specific art/drawing supplies
- Drawing pens - no ball point pens, no pencils or erasers;
- Pad of large drawing paper;
- Any small water color set;
- 2 paint brushes one small one medium size;
- A bottle of water proof India Ink;
- Chalk pastels (optional);
- A 3-ring binder with 100 plastic sleeves;
- Computer w/ internet connection;
- Scanner or decent digital camera; images will be emailed size 72 DPI around 12" x 14";
- Photoshop is a plus, but not essential.