Graphic Design Portfolio Development Workshop
- Course Dates: October 20-November 21, 2014
- Instructors: Ania Diakoff & Laura Bernstein
- Tuition: $125 (USD, special price for pilot)
- Registration: September 22 to October 17, 2014 (space is limited)
Why should I take this class?
CalArts’ Graphic Design Portfolio Development Workshop is a four-week online workshop for pre-college students who are interested in enhancing their college application portfolios to graphic design programs, as well as students looking to recharge or sharpen their existing design portfolios.
The four assignments and associated lectures are designed to help you cultivate a visual and historical awareness of graphic design. Here you will have the opportunity to develop, explore, and expand your formal visual skills through one of four components essential to the study and practice of this discipline:
- branding and graphic identity
- typographic connotation and denotation
- graphic organization and grid systems
- defining space, meaning, and self-expression in design
For Fall 2014, this pilot workshop is being offered at a special discounted rate for a limited number of students. Participation in this workshop does not imply an admissions advantage to CalArts or any other institution.
How does this class work?
The course is supported on Tenlegs, a networking site and creative collaboration space. Through Tenlegs you will have immediate access to a peer group of like-minded artists for feedback and exchange that can continue on the platform after the class has ended.
Each week, the instructors will give a short video lecture as an introduction to one of the above themes. They will then deliver an assignment that will give you an opportunity to put those thematic ideas to work. You will work on your assignment on your own time and upload it to the class module on Tenlegs by a set deadline. At the end of the week, the instructors will give you direct feedback on your submission through a video critique. In preparation for each assignment, you will also be encouraged to collect, catalog, and share your research and reference material into "mood boards"—a key component in your work as a graphic designer.
What do I need to do to take this class?
Enrollment in this workshop is based on the instructors' review of your current work. To apply, send the following information to email@example.com by the application deadline listed above:
- Your full name
- Your primary email address
- Five examples of drawings or paintings as digital image files (JPG only, 72 dpi, longest side 1000 pixels maximum).
Please specify in the subject line that you are applying for the Graphic Design Workshop.
Note: You must be 14 years old or older to take part in this workshop.
2. Register and pay
If accepted, you will be sent an email notification with a reminder to settle your student account. Review your options for payment.
3. Sign up for Tenlegs
To access the online classroom and participate in critiques, students need to set up a user profile/account on Tenlegs. Create your profile with the same name and email address you provided in your application materials. There is no additional cost to set up an account.
4. Check technical capabilities and purchase materials
For your work in this class, you will also need the following:
- Access to a laptop or desktop computer
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator (you should have a basic understanding of both programs to complete this workshop)
- Scanner or digital camera (uploaded images need to be at least 72 dpi, and measure at least 1000 pixels on their longest side)
- Materials for sketching ideas and thumbnails (ie. drawing paper, pencils)